OK This Website uses cookies for optimisation. By continuing, you agree to the use of cookies. Read more about data protection
?>

NEWS

 
20.04.2021
„Jüdische Architektur in Hamburg“ (Teil 2)
Vortragveranstaltung zum Internationalen Denkmaltag am 20.04.2021, 18.30 Uhr
12.04.2021
Jüdischer Friedhof Altona bis 15. Mai geschlossen
 

Spendenkonto

Berenberg Bank

IBAN: DE35 2012 0000 0054 5030 24

BIC: BEGODEHH

   

 
 

The Jewish Cemetery in Altona
The Eduard Duckesz House

Königstraße 10a, Altona

The Altona Jewish Cemetery is closed due to the current situation till 15.05.2021.
The current ordinance to contain the spread of the SARS-CoV-2 FHH coronavirus can be found here.

 

The Jewish Cemetery in Altona was established in 1611 and was continually expanded. The “good place” on Königstraße enjoys international repute as one of the most significant Jewish burial sites, not only by dint of its size and age, but also because of the cultural-historical importance of many of its gravestones. The cemetery, just under two hectares (nearly five acres) in area, consists of a Sephardic section (Sephardic Jews are immigrants from the Iberian peninsula and their descendants) and an Ashkenazic section (Ashkenazic Jews are German Jews and immigrants from Eastern Europe and Russia). These sections were originally separate one from the other. In the view of prominent experts in Jewish studies, both sections make the cemetery a strong candidate for inclusion in the UNESCO World Heritage, and the cemetery has recently been placed on the ‘tentative list’ of the World Heritage sites. The cemetery, which has not been in further use since 1869, is a religious site owned by the Jewish Community, preserved as a place of eternal rest for the departed.

The impressive gravestones are being continually restored. In 2007, the Hamburg Monument Foundation established the visitors’ centre at the Eduard Duckesz House and maintains regular opening hours as well as tours conducted by qualified guides. Funerals on the Jewish Cemetery in Altona took place between 1616 and 1868, in exceptional cases there are notified burials for the Ashkenazic part until 1871 and the Portuguese part until 1877. All names and inscriptions of the Ashkenazic part are listed on epidat, further information as well on other jewish cemeteries in Hamburg please find here.

Opening hours
October - March:  Tu, Thur, Sun 2-5 p.m. (in winter, the cemetery closes at nightfall)
April - September: Tu, Thur, 3-6 p.m., Sun 2-5 p.m.

Closed on Jewish and legal holidays, the winter holiday period:
2021: 18 May, 23 May, 29 Aug, 7 Sept, 16 Sept, 28 Sept, 3 Oct, 31 Oct, 16 Dec – Jan. 2022 (winter holidays)

- and during especially harsh weather conditions (heavy storms, excessive snow and ice).

Entry to the cemetery is cost-free. Male visitors are kindly requested to wear a head covering.

Tours for individual visitors on Sun 12:00 noon see here


We request that groups book their tour in advance through the museum service unit,
Tel. 0049- 40-428131-0, www.museumsdienst-hamburg.de 
Languages: German, English, Italian and sign language
.

Please note that due to insurance reasons guided tours with external guides are not permitted.

 

Videos zum Abruf

Der Israelitische Tempel in Hamburg - Präsentation der Publikation durch die Autoren

Vorträge von PD Dr. Andreas Brämer , PD Dr.-Ing. Ulrich Knufinke und Prof. Dr. Miriam Rürup. Link

 
 

DENKMAL DIGITAL

Digitale Angebote
Videos, Präsentationen, Audiotouren u. v. m.

 
 
 
© 2021 Stiftung Denkmalpflege Hamburg, Dragonerstall 13, 20355 Hamburg